Wednesday 12 October 2011

Nail decals: How to...

I love pretty nails. I've tried nail wraps before, but they turned into a complete disaster. So to end my frustration I vowed never to touch them again. But as usual, my beauty brain took over when I recently read about water decals and couldn't wait to give them a go.

And here's how they turned out...


Firstly I apologise for how chipped my nails are, I took this photo today so they've had five days of battering. Secondly, the reason I've only done one finger isn't because I'm channelling my inner Kelly Rowland, I actually ruined four in the process.

I'm not going to lie, these were incredibly fiddly and took some practice before getting it right. But here's how I did it.
  • First of all you'll need to get everything together. I used: nail file, coloured nail polish (Nails Inc in Caramel), top coat, nail scissors, patterned water decals, shallow pot of water and tissue/cotton wool pad.
  • File your nails to create a good shape and a smooth surface. Paint with your chosen colour (I applied two coats.) Make sure you leave to dry fully before applying the decals, or you could smudge.
  • Your strip of decals should come in a choice of sizes. To make things easier, choose which nail you're going to start and cut out the nearest sized decal to fit your nail.
  • You will now need to cut the decal with nail scissors to a rough size that will fit on your nail. I found it easier to trim off the top slightly and the sides, if needed.  
  • Once you are happy with the size, place the decal face-up, into the pot of water for about 20-30 seconds.
  • While your decal is in the water, place a small blob of top coat onto the top and bottom of your nail - this will help secure it in place.
  • After 30 seconds check to see if the decal comes away from the paper. If so, pull away, draining off any excess water and place on top of your nail. You will need to pat the decal gently with a cotton wool pad and then leave to dry.
  • If you find it's too long, gently push the excess underneath your nail - this will get filed away later on. They do take a while to dry, so if it's sliding off your nail, just persevere. It will get there, honestly!
  • Now apply a later of top coat. Once dry, gently file the end of your nail to tear away the excess tucked under the nail.
  • Apply another layer of top coat to secure and keep your nails lasting longer.

I bought this set of water decals from eBay for under £3 including P&P. They're great for adding a personal touch too.

Have you ever tried water decals or nail wraps? If so, how did you find them? And what design did you go for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Made By pipdig